September 28th, 2012 2 Comments » | POSTED BY ROB
Motormate: Confused.com Rates Your Driving
Last month Aviva launched an Android phone app to help build up a profile of your driving, with a view to rewarding safer drivers with a lower car insurance premium.
The free app runs in the background while you’re driving, measuring your driving style. It then gives you a score for your performance according to how safe you are on the road. You can compare your scores with other users.
Confused.com is currently offering rewards for the first 5,000 users reaching certain milestones with the app, such as complimentary in-car cradles and chargers, and £25 cashback. There’s no suggestion at this stage as to whether the data collected will be used to help lower your car insurance premiums, but ultimately that’s likely to be the reason for using telematic apps such as this.
Without a significant financial benefit, such apps are likely to be have a short-term novelty factor, but will probably become a bit of a chore to monitor each and every car trip.
- Your Favourite Android Finance Apps (February 3, 2011)
- Could Aviva’s New Android App Save You Money On Car Insurance? (August 13, 2012)
- Top iPhone Finance Apps (April 7, 2010)
- Infographic: Which Car Drivers Are Most Likely To Break The Law? (December 13, 2011)
- Motley Fool: Top Credit Cards For Clever Fools (September 5, 2006)