December 19th, 2012 1 Comment » | POSTED BY ROB
Barclays Integrates PINSentry Into Mobile App
Could we finally be seeing the end of the online banking dongle?
Barclays have had their PINSentry device for a while, and not so long ago, HSBC introduced their ever-so-popular SecureKey keypad, which both generated random access codes to provide an extra layer of security to their online banking.
But there’s always been problems with these devices; you have to remember them wherever you go, you have to wait to receive them in the first place, their batteries run out (so then need replacing) and they’re easily lost. Despite the added security they bring, they’ve always seemed to be more trouble than they’re worth.
So there’s some good news in the announcement that Barclays are making the sensible move of integrating their PINSentry system into their mobile banking app, allowing you to keep the same level of security wherever you take your phone.
- Barclays: Changes To Internet & Mobile Banking Login (July 28, 2011)
- Barclays Mobile Banking App (July 31, 2012)
- How Should Banks Implement Mobile Banking? (June 29, 2010)
- Barclays Improving Online & Mobile Banking Login (April 7, 2011)
- KPMG Study: Mobile Banking Becoming More Common (July 26, 2010)