For the next couple of Mondays (7th & 14th March 2016), Apple Pay users travelling on Transport for London services can get their fares paid for them by MasterCard.
MasterCard are bringing back their “fare free Mondays” promotion, which they ran once before, at the end of last year, offering Apple Pay users the chance for free journeys on the underground or buses.
To get the free travel, you’ll need to tap in and out on the TfL network (London Buses, London Underground, London Trams, Docklands Light Railway, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line, and most National Rail services in London) with an Apple Pay enabled device (so a recent model of iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch), and it must have a MasterCard added.
You can claim up to £28.10 per Monday during the promotion. Full terms and conditions of MasterCard’s offer can be found here.
If this is of interest to you, you can get further details on the MasterCard website. If you’re not travelling in London, or don’t have an Apple Pay enabled phone, then you’re out of luck, unfortunately, you’ll have to pay for your journeys like normal.
- Mastercard Promotes Apple Pay With Free London Transport (November 24, 2015)
- Reeclaim: Get Automatic Refunds On Delayed Tube Journeys (April 25, 2018)
- Pre-Paid Currency Card Adds Apple Pay Support (August 2, 2017)
- New Tool Helps Calculate The Cost Of Your Commute To London (February 25, 2016)
- Ticketclever: New Site Could Save You 60% On Train Fares (February 2, 2017)