Whilst the problem now seems to be sorted, during the outage Nationwide clients could only login if they went straight to the login form, but once logged into the site they were unable to view their accounts.
A message on the site read:
We are currently experiencing problems with displaying account information and transactions. We are working hard to rectify this as soon as possible and would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Nationwide’s service availability web page shows no current problems, and there’s no further explanation of the problem.
The outage no doubt caused problems for those looking to make urgent transfers or check their balances. With this sort of issue it would be good to notify clients of the reason behind the outage, as many will worry that the site was hacked and their details compromised.
It’s more likely to have been a botched upgrade, but nevertheless some reassurance wouldn’t go amiss.
- HSBC Online Banking “Back To Normal” (January 7, 2016)
- Halifax Online Banking Redesign (September 2, 2015)
- Chip: Automatic Savings App Launched (October 13, 2016)
- Warning: Amazon Prime Renewal Phone Call Scam (July 27, 2020)
- Thousands Use Twitter To Complain About HMRC Phone Lines (September 9, 2015)