Mastercard are running 2 tests where users can authorise payments by effectively taking a selfie with their smartphones.
The (small) facial recognition trials are currently in progress in the US and Holland, according to Finextra.
Mastercard are keen on finding out whether biometrics are a practical method for verifying identities, and will be using “selfie pay” (*runs off to trademark name*) alongside fingerprint scanning to see which is more reliable and simpler for customers to use.
What next, pay by emoji? (*runs off…*)
- Amazon Patents “Pay-By-Selfie” (March 16, 2016)
- first direct Uses Voice Biometrics To Verify Clients (September 14, 2016)
- “Fare Free Mondays” Are Back On TfL For Apple Pay Users (March 2, 2016)
- Android Pay Launching In The UK (March 23, 2016)
- Tablet Banking “Failing To Take Off” (September 1, 2016)