Mastercard are running 2 tests where users can authorise payments by effectively taking a selfie with their smartphones.
The (small) facial recognition trials are currently in progress in the US and Holland, according to Finextra.
Mastercard are keen on finding out whether biometrics are a practical method for verifying identities, and will be using “selfie pay” (*runs off to trademark name*) alongside fingerprint scanning to see which is more reliable and simpler for customers to use.
What next, pay by emoji? (*runs off…*)
- Mobile #1 Channel For First Direct Customers (November 10, 2018)
- first direct Partners With Financial Platform Bud (October 19, 2017)
- NatWest “Mimo” – New Personal Finance App Trialled (March 31, 2019)
- Santander First High Street Bank To Offer FitBit Pay (April 26, 2018)
- Monzo Killing Off Its Prepaid Cards (January 23, 2018)