Mastercard are running 2 tests where users can authorise payments by effectively taking a selfie with their smartphones.
The (small) facial recognition trials are currently in progress in the US and Holland, according to Finextra.
Mastercard are keen on finding out whether biometrics are a practical method for verifying identities, and will be using “selfie pay” (*runs off to trademark name*) alongside fingerprint scanning to see which is more reliable and simpler for customers to use.
What next, pay by emoji? (*runs off…*)
- Amazon Patents “Pay-By-Selfie” (March 16, 2016)
- Mastercard Promotes Apple Pay With Free London Transport (November 24, 2015)
- first direct Uses Voice Biometrics To Verify Clients (September 14, 2016)
- Apple Pay vs Samsung Pay (August 18, 2015)
- Brits “More Likely To Change Spouse Than PIN” (October 1, 2014)