There have been quite a few high profile cases of online banking going wrong over the last year, including the problems faced by RBS & Natwest and more recently Nationwide.
In a lot of cases, losing access to your online banking accounts can be an annoyance more than anything, but there’s also a chance downtime at your bank could mean extra cost and inconvenience for you.
lovemoney.com has posted a useful article on your rights when online and mobile banking goes wrong, including how to claim compensation and how to complain.
They also have tips on switching your accounts to another bank, although with the nature of IT issues, no bank can guarantee they’ll be available 100% of the time, but some may be better at communicating to clients when there are problems, whilst others may offer better guarantees and compensation arrangements.
- Brits â€˜Overwhelmedâ€™ & â€˜Stressedâ€™ By Money Management (January 12, 2017)
- HSBC Launches “Connected Money” App (May 9, 2018)
- Mobile #1 Channel For First Direct Customers (November 10, 2018)
- eBay To Launch Price Match Guarantee On 20,000+ Items (July 5, 2017)
- first direct Launches Face ID For iPhone X Mobile App (November 3, 2017)