Following on from yesterday’s announcement of 2,100 job losses worldwide, of which it now appears that 500 will be in the U.K., Barclays has announced another 2,100 job cuts, this time in its retail and commercial banking divisions, all of which will be from the U.K..
The company is hoping to avoid making compulsory redundancies, with many of the jobs being lost from Barclays’ branches and from Barclaycard.
Today’s cuts represent more than 4% of its U.K. workforce of 70,000, and brings Barclays’ total number of redundancies announced in the last few weeks to 3,000.
34,000 financial services jobs are expected to be cut this year, following 28,000 last year.
photo credit: Kai Hendry
- Barclays Top Bank On Facebook (September 20, 2015)
- UK Contactless Spending Triples in 12 Months (August 26, 2015)
- Android Pay Launching In The UK (March 23, 2016)
- Get Financially Fit With Barclays Financial Wings (June 23, 2016)
- Barclaycard Anything: Turn Any Object Into A Contactless Way To Pay (April 1, 2015)