With all the job losses going on around the country, there’s plenty of advice as to what you should do if you’re made redundant.
Strangely, no-one seems to be thinking about what you shouldn’t do, so here are 7 things that you really shouldn’t do if you’re made redundant:
- Relax & take it easy – what better way to spend your mass of free time than by watching Jeremy Kyle & Loose Women or by playing online games – do anything other than look for jobs only or update your C.V., which will only remind you that you’ve got no job to go to and no money coming in.
- Splash out & treat yourself – make yourself feel better by dipping into your savings and splashing out on a big new TV or treating yourself to a nice long holiday. After all, you’ve worked hard for the past 5 years, you deserve a long break, and finding a new job can wait, can’t it. And
- Don’t tell anyone – it’s really shameful being made redundant isn’t it, makes you look like an idiot who isn’t worth employing, and you don’t want other people knowing that. Don’t tell anyone you’ve lost your job, keep dressing for and going out to work each day and act if nothing’s happened. Why not go and hide in the pub whilst pretending to be at work?
- Wallow in self pity – no-one wants to hear your sob stories, after all, you’re not the only one who’s lost their job, so keep it to yourself.
- Avoid complicated government forms – no-one likes to fill in long forms, so save yourself the hassle and don’t bother claiming the no doubt pitiful benefits you may be entitled to.
- Don’t bother organising your finances – you’ve lost your job, so how bad can things get. Just let the rest of your finances fall into disarray, after all, what’s the worst that can happen?
- Take a swipe at your ex-employer – how dare they make you redundant?! You’ll really make yourself feel better by having a go at your now ex-employer. Now’s your chance to tell them what you really think of them. Why not then email the whole company to let them into any secrets or to dish the dirt on othe employees, that’ll really wind them up.
Can you think of any other bad ideas when it comes to being made redundant? Let us know in the comments below.
photo credit: matthew solle
- Reeclaim: Get Automatic Refunds On Delayed Tube Journeys (April 25, 2018)
- Budget Calculator: Are You Better Or Worse Off? (March 16, 2016)
- Get Financially Fit With Barclays Financial Wings (June 23, 2016)
- 10 Simple Money Savers You Shouldn’t Ignore (June 18, 2016)
- HSBC Launches Talking Cash Machines (May 10, 2017)