A recent patented granted to Apple seems to confirm that a future version of the iPhone (probably the iPhone 5) will have “E-Wallet” NFC functionality:
It’s unlikely that it will be eventually be called E-Wallet (or EWallet) though, as that term is already trademarked.
A more likely name is iWallet, although several people have already tried to register variations on this, yet Apple may have enough resources to take on those who wish to add an i to their product names. They may well surprise us and come up with something cleverer than we could ever think of though. (Here’s a list of Apple trademarks).
- Pre-Paid Currency Card Adds Apple Pay Support (August 2, 2017)
- “Fare Free Mondays” Are Back On TfL For Apple Pay Users (March 2, 2016)
- Blinq: Expense Tracking App (November 9, 2016)
- Sweatcoin App “Pays You” To Get Fit (February 8, 2017)
- Barclays Confirms Imminent Apple Pay Launch (February 17, 2016)